Friday, March 30, 2012

Designer Arm Sling

When my 6 year old broke her arm last Wednesday, the nurse sent her home with your run of the mill, ugly blue arm sling.

Payton's Designer sling 011

Although the doctor said it isn’t necessary to wear it, she claims that her arm hurts less when she does. While taking a closer look at it, I realized that I could easily make her a cuter, softer version. Using the old sling as a template, I cut out two pieces of coordinating fabric and one piece of batting with the bottom of the sling on the fold of the fabric.

Payton's Designer sling 001

This is what the shape looked like when I opened up the fabric.

Payton's Designer sling 002

Then I layered the two pieces of fabric, right sides together, with the batting on top of both fabrics and stitched all the way around, leaving a section open for turning right side out.

Payton's Designer sling 005

After turning it right side out and pressing, I top-stitched all the way around the shape, making sure to stitch the gap closed while I did. After that I folded the sling in half and stitched strait up the side where her elbow sits.

I bought some 1” cotton webbing and a pack of strap adjusters from JoAnn’s and just stitched it on the sling using the original one as a guide.

Payton's Designer sling 007This little girl was so excited to see the prettier, softer, one-of-a-kind arm sling I made her. It was so quick and easy to put together that I think I’m going to make her a few different ones so she can switch it up every now and then.Payton's Designer sling 009

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this tutorial!...unfortunately just had to make one for my toddler with a broken collar bone :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great for a charity project I recently got a pacemaker and I could not lift my arm above my head for several days. I received a black sling leaving the hospital. I want to make all my doctors patients slings to leave the hospital with. They won't need it for long and can always give it back clean and pressed for another patient.

    ReplyDelete